Posted by : Unknown Monday 13 January 2014

Giving Back is Good


Photo by: Aditya Mopur


              Currently, my schedule consists of going to school, volunteering here and there, and simply hanging out with friends or family. There have been many times where my parents have talked to me asking when I will look for a job, blah blah blah. I mean, that’s good- that’s what I must do- I must go get a job and plan for the future. But there’s something inside me that has a different idea.

              When I graduate from post-secondary (which I hope I do), all I will be doing is work, work, and more work. So I’ve been thinking, why not have fun and do what I want to do while I’m not at the working stage yet? I volunteer my time helping those in need of assistance. I volunteer because I want to, not because I have to. Why? Because I feel like the world has given me enough, and that I should give back.

              Giving back to the community is good. Sometimes our lives aren’t always about the individual us, sometimes it’s about the collective us. What does that exactly mean? Your life isn’t always about you. It’s also about the people around you. There are people living in the streets, new immigrants struggling to communicate, and others- all things where we can intervene and help. It feels good to know that your acts help other people, and make other’s lives better if not easier. On the other side of the spectrum, knowing that someone is there to help when in need feels good. It gives life more meaning. It makes living more meaningful.

              Just think of a world where every individual stops being selfish and starts helping each other out. How perfect of a place would that be! There’s a Coca-Cola commercial that sang “Give a little love and it all comes back to you. You’re going to be remembered for the things that you say and do.” I never knew I would look up to an advertisement phrase before. But these lines are accurate, and you shall try to believe in. The more we give, the more we get after all, eh?

            I invite you to be active in the community. My New Year’s Resolution is to get involved and volunteer more. Make it yours too. You can begin by helping others in need such as helping an old person cross the road, or offer a seat to the elderly while in transit. You can also volunteer in other places like libraries and community centres.

Together, we can make the world a better place. Together, we can make a difference.

Be the change!
Jose


If you are looking for ways to volunteer, do not forget to check the volunteer section under our RESOURCES menu.

            

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

TRANSLATE THIS PAGE

WHO ARE WE?

Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog is an online space made for youth, by youth. Here, you will find stories and experiences written by youth immigrants who once felt how challenging it was to be a newcomer in Vancouver. If you are a newcomer in Vancouver (or anywhere in Canada), we hope to give you all the resources you need to feel comfortable in this country. We hope to give you tips and advices on how we adjusted to our lives here as youth immigrants. Through this site, we want to empower you to bring out your full potential.

PARTNERS

PARTNERS

POPULAR POSTS

BLOG ARCHIVE

- Copyright © Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -