Posted by : Unknown Thursday 21 May 2015



(An anti-bucket list is a list of things that one hopes to never do before s/he dies)


Summer is coming and most of us are already making plans to make the most out of it. Usually, we want to try new things; we intend to do things that we haven’t done yet. Some stick to what they have done last year and just revisit it, while others pull out ideas from their bucket list.

A bucket list is a list of things that a person wants to do before s/he dies. Summer is the perfect time to do things we have been wanting to do. However, I want to change things up. Instead of doing things from our bucket list this summer, how about we list some things we wish to avoid doing while we are alive? Here are some things from my own anti-bucket list:

1. Do drugs or smoke

I don’t know about you, but I firmly believe in saying no to (routinely consuming highly addicting illegal) drugs.  Your stance on drugs might be completely different from mine, but I’ve done my research and I know its negative health side effects. I know there are various types of drugs and some of them are harmless. I would love to further explain my side to those who believe otherwise, but it’s hard to shake someone’s belief especially when they formed that since childhood. Additionally, just like what high school or college cliché movies show, there are peer pressures everywhere. It might not be from your peers but we can’t deny that we currently live in an era where the line on drugs is blurred. One second, I’m antagonistic about it, the next second I’m rationalising using it. Thanks, philosophy lecture class. Nevertheless, I wish to never do drugs until I die. That would be quite an achievement for a person like me who changes her mind every 15 seconds.

2. Skydiving

Skydiving is one of the popular things we see on a bucket list. But for me, I would never take the leap of faith simply because I don’t have faith. Kidding aside, I know I have faith, but it’s just not that strong. Every person has their weakness, and I think this is mine. Even if you offer me a million dollars to do a stunt with safety and harness and all, I would not have the courage to do so. This is unfortunate for me because every time someone asks me between having the ability to fly or be invisible, I always choose flying!

3. Be stuck in a deserted place

This is probably because I have watched a lot of horror movies where people get stuck in a deserted place and one by one they die because of psycho-killers. Maybe it’s also the fact that I don’t trust people in this kind of situation. I feel like when this happens, people easily forget being “human” and a war of “all against all” begins. Or maybe, it’s just that I don’t trust my survival skills. 

4.  Wake up before 3am

I know my schedule and I know I never set things to do earlier than 7 am. Normally my wake up time is around 6:40 am. Waking up earlier than that mostly gives me the “sad”. A bit irrational, but the only time I have to wake around that hour is when something bad has happened. I remember being woken up at 2 in the morning knowing that my grandma died,  traveling at 4 in the morning to get in time for a relative’s funeral,  being at the airport before 5 to send off my mom to the airport.  My sister also told me this story that 3am is the hour of the devil and it’s bad to be up at that hour or you’ll see ghosts staring at you (If you’re reading this at night, be careful not to look at the closet. That’s where they hide). It’s probably the last one that I don’t like waking up at 3 in the morning.

5. Choose between two people that are important to you

I think it’s fair to say that this is one of the things that a lot of people dread.  I only see this happen in the movies, but I’ll be wrecked if this happen to me. You just can’t choose one between two people who are important to you. That’s like asking, "if you have to choose between your hands, which one do you keep?"  But you know what, I think what’s worse than this dilemma is to be one of the two people who are being chosen, then not get picked.  #gentlyapplywatertothatburn



These things are from my own anti-bucket list. Yours may be very different from mine, but that’s okay. Just remember that sometimes we need to avoid certain things in order to make space for better, greater things. What’s in your anti-bucket list?

- Anonymeh

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

TRANSLATE THIS PAGE

WHO ARE WE?

Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog is an online space made for youth, by youth. Here, you will find stories and experiences written by youth immigrants who once felt how challenging it was to be a newcomer in Vancouver. If you are a newcomer in Vancouver (or anywhere in Canada), we hope to give you all the resources you need to feel comfortable in this country. We hope to give you tips and advices on how we adjusted to our lives here as youth immigrants. Through this site, we want to empower you to bring out your full potential.

PARTNERS

PARTNERS

POPULAR POSTS

BLOG ARCHIVE

- Copyright © Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -