Posted by : Unknown Friday 29 November 2013






The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is check my phone for missed messages and/or calls. Admit it, you do it too. However, that’s not the only thing I do. When the world is at your fingertips, it gets harder to get up in the morning.


I’ll be honest, I check my social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc) before I get up in the morning (or even the afternoon). It is as if these sites are the source of news, celebrity gossip, and our friends’ lunch. When I ride the transit, I put these earphones that shoot out music in them in order to shut out the noise. Is there anyone out there with the same experience? I’m sure I’m not alone. What is happening?!


When the food comes when I eat out with my friends, they all whip out their smartphones and go on their cameras to take a picture of their hopefully scrumptious food. During the meal, we all become silent not only because we’re eating, but also because we’re on our cellular devices tweeting how good or how sucky our food is. Sometimes we go on our phones to see how many people have “liked” or commented on our photos. Slowly, we are being devoured by what we call the internet. Gradually, we forget that we have friends around to enjoy times with. We turn into metaphorical robots. WAKE UP!


Somewhere in this blog post is a short YouTube clip that you must watch. After seeing it, my eyes opened and I said, “what is happening?” I then realized that I have been a victim of this, and want to stop it.








So ride with me. Whenever you catch yourself, remember to live in the moment. The moment is not going to be there forever! You must cherish it. Being new to Canada, one must be exploring the great outdoors, not the interwebs. Actually be with your friends and have a good time. Maybe leave your electronic device at home on purpose. That way, we all become present and alive in every moment.

The best thing you could do after reading this post is to ask yourself, “am I being a robot?” If not, then you’re living it right. If you said yes, then maybe you should consider the few suggestions given above. Make the acts to seize the day.




Living in the moment,
Jose



Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

TRANSLATE THIS PAGE

WHO ARE WE?

Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog is an online space made for youth, by youth. Here, you will find stories and experiences written by youth immigrants who once felt how challenging it was to be a newcomer in Vancouver. If you are a newcomer in Vancouver (or anywhere in Canada), we hope to give you all the resources you need to feel comfortable in this country. We hope to give you tips and advices on how we adjusted to our lives here as youth immigrants. Through this site, we want to empower you to bring out your full potential.

PARTNERS

PARTNERS

POPULAR POSTS

BLOG ARCHIVE

- Copyright © Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -