Posted by : Unknown Monday 3 February 2014

New Year: Fireworks and Resolutions


I know it’s late for a New Year's resolution post, but I purposely waited for January to be over (totally not because I’m behind my schedule) before I made this post.

Anyhow, let me just put out the fact that I’m a very superstitious person. With all my beliefs including feng shui and astronomy, one can claim that I treat January as a big deal. I call it: the month of firsts.

This entails me trying to do everything in the most amazing way possible so it will be amazing all throughout the coming year. Sounds crazy isn’t it? Or is it actually confusing? Okay then let me elaborate: if, for example, I make a coffee and realize that it will be my first coffee of the year, I’ll say to myself “hey it’s my first coffee of the year. Better make it special”

I know it sounds childish or crazy...or CRAZY in all caps, but I have this preposterous theory that every first activity/chore in the first month shall be done wisely. If it is done horribly, then it’ll be horrible the whole year.
Why am I writing about this? Is it because I don’t have any idea for our January post? ‘Course not (seriously, no.) I’m doing this because... I want us to see the beauty of firsts.

Now that January is over, I have realized how silly I’d been. I spent the whole month trying to do things nicely; Getting frustrated when they come out wrong. I’ve wasted the opportunity to actually live in the moment.

This does not only apply to new beginnings; it is actually applicable to everything. Presentations, we get so nervous on how are we going to look like that we forgot we’re actually there to present; Family events, we keep on asking where everyone is then forgetting about the people who actually showed up.

Main point is, look deeper. Experience deeper. Think deeper and Live deeper. Let’s not get caught up with superficiality. Most of us think we’re not doing this, but in fact, human vanity is normal. It’s just that we get too much divulged into it. So maybe this year, we can stop fumbling on getting worried about how things are going to turn out. Instead, we can start savouring the journey!

CHAU!

- anonymeh
    “Do or do not, there is no try” – Yoda



Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

TRANSLATE THIS PAGE

WHO ARE WE?

Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog is an online space made for youth, by youth. Here, you will find stories and experiences written by youth immigrants who once felt how challenging it was to be a newcomer in Vancouver. If you are a newcomer in Vancouver (or anywhere in Canada), we hope to give you all the resources you need to feel comfortable in this country. We hope to give you tips and advices on how we adjusted to our lives here as youth immigrants. Through this site, we want to empower you to bring out your full potential.

PARTNERS

PARTNERS

POPULAR POSTS

BLOG ARCHIVE

- Copyright © Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -