Posted by : Unknown Tuesday 23 December 2014



Winter is absolutely my favourite season. There is hot-chocolate, eggnog, gingerbread, snow, Christmas…who doesn’t love Christmas? You don’t have to celebrate Christmas, but the general jolly-ness of the holiday always makes my day. In Vancouver, the absolute must-do during winter is to go skiing, or snowboarding. If you feel like speed is not your thing, there is always cross-country skiing, but that’s not what this article’s about. I’ve never skied before coming to Canada. But at the urging of many family members and friends, I decided to go for it.

As a kid (>12 I think), they were very cheap season tickets. Going with a friend is probably a good idea, preferably somebody who knows what they’re doing because learning (at least for me) was not easy. Yes, skiing and snowboarding look cool, but when you’re actually on those flat pieces of plastic, the ground really does seem to move fast. My first time snowboarding, I couldn’t go down the bunny hill. But of course, everything gets better with practice. Unfortunately for me, my dad thought I got enough practice on the very first day.

So off I go, with him at the top waiting and me on a green. Yes, green runs are supposed to be easy but that was actually the first day I was on a snowboard. So precariously I turned and stopped, turned and stopped, sometimes just edging my way down the hill. However half way down, the wind started to pick up and before I knew it, I was in the middle of a blizzard. There was snow and wind blowing everywhere, sometimes so thick that I could barely see which way is up and which way is down, only relying on gravity. And that didn’t work so well as gravity also made you fall. So there I was falling and stopping and going slower than a person walking. And there wasn’t anything I could do; walking back up was way too far, so I kept on going.

After almost 2.5 hours I finally saw the shadow of chairlifts at the end of the run. Words cannot describe the relief I felt; there wasn’t a happier sight. I finally got on the chairlift, taking me up in less than 10 minutes, and of course, falling again when I got off. But I went back. Even though I was terrified afterwards, I went back again and again, and now, snowboarding’s my favourite thing in the world.


So the moral of the story? Skiing is awesome, and there’s a reason Vancouver hosted the winter Olympics. But more than that, it’s to always try something new. To try, try again because one day, you’ll succeed. One day, you’ll look back and realize these experiences have made you far more as a person, and be filled with pride. That day, you’ll be a happy person. 

- Selena

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

TRANSLATE THIS PAGE

WHO ARE WE?

Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog is an online space made for youth, by youth. Here, you will find stories and experiences written by youth immigrants who once felt how challenging it was to be a newcomer in Vancouver. If you are a newcomer in Vancouver (or anywhere in Canada), we hope to give you all the resources you need to feel comfortable in this country. We hope to give you tips and advices on how we adjusted to our lives here as youth immigrants. Through this site, we want to empower you to bring out your full potential.

PARTNERS

PARTNERS

POPULAR POSTS

BLOG ARCHIVE

- Copyright © Vancouver Immigrant Youth (VANITY) Blog -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -